Skip to main content

It's All Greek To Me

Stiff and stoic archaic period sculptures; graceful classical period reliefs;  St. Paul's journeys through Corinth, Ephesus, and Rhodes; mythology retold for young audiences - What a whirlwind tour of Greece we've had these past few weeks!
  We've sketched battle helmets, painted Hoplite shields, and designed theatrical masks.
Isn't Medusa terrifying????
The boys even built a Trojan Horse out of cardboard. 
Well, it actually turned into a Star Wars AT-AT, but they promised to deliver a Trojan Horse before the Art Exhibit next week. 
Did I mention the Art Exhibit? It will be held immediately after the Science Fair on Friday the 17th. Ooops! I don't think I mentioned the Science Fair either. Parents, grandparents, and friends of the family are welcome to join us for an open house as we showcase the kids' hard work. Refreshments will be provided ;)  I am so excited for this last hurrah before Lent begins. 
In the meantime, there is a battle going on in the living room. I hope the Trojans return Helen to Sparta soon, before my sofa is beaten to a pulp by the  καταπέλτης (katapeltēs).







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waldorf What?

When the link to Homeschooling on a Shoestring was published , there was some discussion about the overview of teaching styles. A friend of mine, who happens to be a very talented artist, was curious about the Waldorf Style. We hadn't heard of it before, at least not under this label. According to the post, it is a teaching style that integrates head, heart and hands. It involves art, faith and lots of hands on activities. While there are many elements of Waldorf philosophy that are not compatible with our Classically Catholic teaching style, we have occasionally borrowed ideas to make our curriculum more colorful and whimsical. Follow this link to Serendipity for free downloads of creative lesson plans and charming stories about fairies and gnomes that will make language arts and math the favorite subjects of the day. Since the author is all about keeping it Catholic, you will also find stories of the saints beautifully woven into the presentations. I imagine our summer will b...

It's A Boy!

And another boy! Double the blessing, and born on a special feast day as well! They look and sound more like the Sons of Thunder than Saints Peter and Paul- but the official names are Christopher Jax and Michael Gage. The proud parents are looking pretty good themselves, but I promised not to post their pics until they've had a good nights' sleep. Behold the Handiwork of God!

Confessions of an Organized Homeschooler

Hello, my name is Suzanne and I am a control freak. Now this may be news to some of you, but my husband and children have known this dark secret for many years now. They have collectively sought help, but to no avail. They are doomed to live with a choleric perfectionist, till death do us part, or till legal age, in the case of my minor children. I tried to develop a twelve step program for the condition, but it was too organized and micromanaged to counteract my controlling tendencies. And now I see the same traits in a couple of my children. They are schedule makers and list checkers, with clean rooms and bossy attitudes. It is difficult for a born organizer to comprehend how the free spirited bohemians of the world cope. I’ve witnessed my own flesh and blood sleep through buzzing alarms without a care in the world, amongst a pile of dirty laundry and dessert bowls. They can rise at the crack of noon, sniff a shirt to see if it can be worn a third time, then dig through a heap to fin...