Flying Under The Radar

Wow! It has been a very long time since the last Classically Catholic blog post. I have been reading more than writing lately. Honestly it has been kind of nice keeping a low profile and flying under the radar for a while. Here is a recap of the past few months….

May was chaotic as the college crowd came home, exploded all over the house  dropped off their gear, and headed off to work in the Blue Ridge Mountains for the summer.

It was a quick turnaround, but they didn't head out before Giordan produced his annual summer movie:



Shortly after the college crowd headed to camp, the house was restored to some semblance of normalcy. Then we headed to the Lone Star State.  My sister and her husband hosted a Memorial Day Bash in true Texas style. Never a dull moment at the Hacienda.


 Can't beat live music...
Lively Chicken Fights in the pool,
And live crawfish.
Of course the crawfish were better after the big boil. 
The excitement continued after the party, because Dear Sister sent us home with a living summer project.
More about that later.

The next whirlwind for the summer was the 
never-ending All-Star tournament circuit.
They finished dirty and exhausted, but they also finished champions. While the guys traveled every weekend, Regina and I mostly chilled around the house. We read, and painted….
(and no, this isn't anyone I know. Just an exercise from an oil painting book to help me get past the flat cartoon look of the Madonna and Child painting that I hope to master in the distant future).
 (See- flat and muddy looking. One day though!)

In between painting sessions I put together a do-it-yourself home retreat. Thanks to some fabulous, old Fulton Sheen videos, I was able to wrap my mind around some of the mysteries of the faith with renewed enthusiasm. Any of his videos or publications are worth the time to view. I look forward to his canonization in the near future. 

Next on the agenda was a girls' weekend getaway.  Gina and I invited Grandma to join us on a road trip back to Texas. We had a peaceful weekend floating in the pool and canning tomatoes. *Learning a lot from my younger sister about canning and dehydrating. Trouble is that my garden doesn't produce like hers. So I am also learning a thing or two from her husband about soil amendments.

Finally it was time for my baby girl to join her brother and sisters at camp. It was her first year as a junior counselor. Then, I was the lone female in a house with 2 restless boys. It rained and rained and rained. Thank heaven for back to back VBS at two different churches.

I also had an opportunity to fill in for an audiologist at my ENT's office for 3 weeks. They call it work; but after homeschooling, keeping the house in order, and the kids under control, it was more like a dream vacation. I love my kids- but a break is a break, and this one came with bonus pay. I am pretty sure the boys needed a break from this mama, too. Grandma stepped up to take the boys out for some summer fun. Putt putt, summer movies, and lunch dates with grandma = happy grandsons.

Gina should be home tonight- and I fully expect her to sleep nonstop for the first two days home in her comfy bed. Then the college kids should be arriving within the week for a short stay before moving into their new apartment. We will rearrange to accommodate everyone and just deal with the chaos for the fabulous short time that we can all be together. How I have missed having a full house! Late night conversations, laughter at the dinner table, and hugs all around. I can't wait. It will all happen so quickly- then back to the homeschooling grind.

How did you spend your summer?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waldorf What?

Loving those Lap Books

Eutrapalia - A Virtue For All Seasons (Extra-Specially SUMMERTIME)