Skip to main content

14 to 4 Overnight

We had everyone together for the big birthday bash



......and then it started.  
Almost overnight we went from a household of 14 to 4.

  • Uncle Nick took a nasty fall and is recuperating in a skilled nursing facility until his physical therapy is complete. Anticipated discharge: the end of summer. 
  • The grandsons and their mother left to visit  friends and relatives in Maryland for who knows how long. If the economy is more promising in the Northeast, the visit could turn into a permanent move. 
  • We delivered 1 son and 4 daughters to Camp in North Carolina.
That means we are a typical American family of  4 until the first week of August. 
Sort of.


  • I don't remember how to cook for 4. 
  • The washing machine is in shock now that we are doing laundry twice a week instead of twice a day. 
  • I mopped the floor yesterday for the first time this week. 
  • Haven't had to wash the table cloth more than once a week either.  
  • It takes about 20 minutes to clean the entire house, because it is staying clean longer.  
It is like living in the twilight zone. Eerily quiet, amazingly peaceful, and CLEAN. I miss my kids at camp, but Wow! I could get used to this. With a child leaving for college every two years, I suppose this is a foretaste of the not so distant future. There are still a gazillion projects to complete, letters from camp to answer, and lessons to plan for next school year.  So I can't complain of boredom. But on the brighter side, I did promise myself a mani/pedicure as a reward for taming the jungle garden. There are also two white rockers on the porch and a chilled bottle of wine in the fridge just waiting for Dear Husband's arrival. And is that a plain white canvas I hear calling my name? I may actually get a chance to answer that call very soon.

Wahoooo! 
Eutrapalia at its finest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waldorf What?

When the link to Homeschooling on a Shoestring was published , there was some discussion about the overview of teaching styles. A friend of mine, who happens to be a very talented artist, was curious about the Waldorf Style. We hadn't heard of it before, at least not under this label. According to the post, it is a teaching style that integrates head, heart and hands. It involves art, faith and lots of hands on activities. While there are many elements of Waldorf philosophy that are not compatible with our Classically Catholic teaching style, we have occasionally borrowed ideas to make our curriculum more colorful and whimsical. Follow this link to Serendipity for free downloads of creative lesson plans and charming stories about fairies and gnomes that will make language arts and math the favorite subjects of the day. Since the author is all about keeping it Catholic, you will also find stories of the saints beautifully woven into the presentations. I imagine our summer will b...

It's A Boy!

And another boy! Double the blessing, and born on a special feast day as well! They look and sound more like the Sons of Thunder than Saints Peter and Paul- but the official names are Christopher Jax and Michael Gage. The proud parents are looking pretty good themselves, but I promised not to post their pics until they've had a good nights' sleep. Behold the Handiwork of God!

Confessions of an Organized Homeschooler

Hello, my name is Suzanne and I am a control freak. Now this may be news to some of you, but my husband and children have known this dark secret for many years now. They have collectively sought help, but to no avail. They are doomed to live with a choleric perfectionist, till death do us part, or till legal age, in the case of my minor children. I tried to develop a twelve step program for the condition, but it was too organized and micromanaged to counteract my controlling tendencies. And now I see the same traits in a couple of my children. They are schedule makers and list checkers, with clean rooms and bossy attitudes. It is difficult for a born organizer to comprehend how the free spirited bohemians of the world cope. I’ve witnessed my own flesh and blood sleep through buzzing alarms without a care in the world, amongst a pile of dirty laundry and dessert bowls. They can rise at the crack of noon, sniff a shirt to see if it can be worn a third time, then dig through a heap to fin...