Skip to main content

Too Clean for Comfort

I bet you never thought I would say those words. After all, how can anything be too clean? 
Well, I once knew a nurse that suffered terribly at home because she worked long hours in a sterile environment. She became sensitive to everything in the air. 
Not that my house is a sterile environment. But after cashing in on a Groupon for 60% off of a total house cleaning,  it is as close to immaculate as possible. With 5 kids away at summer camp, and Uncle Nick recuperating in a skilled nursing facility, the house is actually staying spic and span. 
Fewer people= lighter meals, less laundry, less traffic, and cleaner floors. 
And since it is summer, we are spending more time at the pool, so even the boys are cleaner. 
I LOVE A CLEAN HOUSE! 
So much so that my Dear Husband said he never saw anyone get such a charge over cleaning. 
Not cleaning, my Dear, but having it cleaned. 
That is the part that I love (especially when it can be done on this frugal budget). But even I have to admit, after weeks of enjoying the pristine kitchen, it was beginning to feel a bit like Stepford around here. I miss the excitement of  a busy kitchen and everyone talking at once at the dinner table. I miss my kids.  So the two youngest boys and I decided to mix it up a bit. 
We messed up every counter in the kitchen
 to mix up a feast fit for Cookie Monster.


  What else was there to do on such a soggy day?
Goodbye, clean kitchen.
 Goodbye, low carb diet. 
Hello memories that two boys will always have, 
of the summer when they were the oldest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waldorf What?

When the link to Homeschooling on a Shoestring was published , there was some discussion about the overview of teaching styles. A friend of mine, who happens to be a very talented artist, was curious about the Waldorf Style. We hadn't heard of it before, at least not under this label. According to the post, it is a teaching style that integrates head, heart and hands. It involves art, faith and lots of hands on activities. While there are many elements of Waldorf philosophy that are not compatible with our Classically Catholic teaching style, we have occasionally borrowed ideas to make our curriculum more colorful and whimsical. Follow this link to Serendipity for free downloads of creative lesson plans and charming stories about fairies and gnomes that will make language arts and math the favorite subjects of the day. Since the author is all about keeping it Catholic, you will also find stories of the saints beautifully woven into the presentations. I imagine our summer will b...

It's A Boy!

And another boy! Double the blessing, and born on a special feast day as well! They look and sound more like the Sons of Thunder than Saints Peter and Paul- but the official names are Christopher Jax and Michael Gage. The proud parents are looking pretty good themselves, but I promised not to post their pics until they've had a good nights' sleep. Behold the Handiwork of God!

Confessions of an Organized Homeschooler

Hello, my name is Suzanne and I am a control freak. Now this may be news to some of you, but my husband and children have known this dark secret for many years now. They have collectively sought help, but to no avail. They are doomed to live with a choleric perfectionist, till death do us part, or till legal age, in the case of my minor children. I tried to develop a twelve step program for the condition, but it was too organized and micromanaged to counteract my controlling tendencies. And now I see the same traits in a couple of my children. They are schedule makers and list checkers, with clean rooms and bossy attitudes. It is difficult for a born organizer to comprehend how the free spirited bohemians of the world cope. I’ve witnessed my own flesh and blood sleep through buzzing alarms without a care in the world, amongst a pile of dirty laundry and dessert bowls. They can rise at the crack of noon, sniff a shirt to see if it can be worn a third time, then dig through a heap to fin...