Skip to main content

Garden of Weedin

FALL GARDEN
The weather is finally taking a turn from stifling humidity to bearable heat.  Time in the garden is back on the schedule. It has grown considerably over the years, although the produce is not as abundant as I had hoped. Still, it is a quiet refuge from the daily grind. The patio is now enclosed by a simple, light weight fence to keep out rampaging football players and stray soccer balls. Having that visual border has made a huge difference. I am back to morning coffee with a family of cardinals, a scurry of squirrels, and a few moments with God, as seen through the eyes of Fulton Sheen.   Very nice. The Blessed Mother watches over the roses and blueberry bushes. St. Joseph is guarding my olive tree. And St. Anthony is posted in front of the orange tree.  

The trees are in pots this year, so I can scoot them into a green house when the frost threatens. We lost 2 citrus trees to hard freeze last winter.  I still need to replant some sugar snap peas and broccoli. Both bolted in the heat when I planted too early.  Amazingly, I still have a watermelon and a cantaloupe to harvest pretty soon.  It isn't quite the Urban Homestead, or even a Suburban look alike, but it is my little corner of Eden. The plan is to learn, little by little, until the garden at least pays for itself as much in produce, as it has in satisfaction. 
The peppers are still hanging on, and there are even some grape tomatoes ripening on a bush. Cucumbers and squash are starting a second run. But everything is trickling in slowly. Not like my sister's garden. She has canned enough produce to last her and her dear husband quite a while. 
She is headed this direction in a couple of weeks to teach me how to fill my pantry with wholesome soups and pasta sauce for the winter. I'll be grinding flour to make bread and English muffins to go with it.  It will be a  Little House on the Prairie weekend, with wine. And lots of laughs. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waldorf What?

When the link to Homeschooling on a Shoestring was published , there was some discussion about the overview of teaching styles. A friend of mine, who happens to be a very talented artist, was curious about the Waldorf Style. We hadn't heard of it before, at least not under this label. According to the post, it is a teaching style that integrates head, heart and hands. It involves art, faith and lots of hands on activities. While there are many elements of Waldorf philosophy that are not compatible with our Classically Catholic teaching style, we have occasionally borrowed ideas to make our curriculum more colorful and whimsical. Follow this link to Serendipity for free downloads of creative lesson plans and charming stories about fairies and gnomes that will make language arts and math the favorite subjects of the day. Since the author is all about keeping it Catholic, you will also find stories of the saints beautifully woven into the presentations. I imagine our summer will b...

It's A Boy!

And another boy! Double the blessing, and born on a special feast day as well! They look and sound more like the Sons of Thunder than Saints Peter and Paul- but the official names are Christopher Jax and Michael Gage. The proud parents are looking pretty good themselves, but I promised not to post their pics until they've had a good nights' sleep. Behold the Handiwork of God!

Confessions of an Organized Homeschooler

Hello, my name is Suzanne and I am a control freak. Now this may be news to some of you, but my husband and children have known this dark secret for many years now. They have collectively sought help, but to no avail. They are doomed to live with a choleric perfectionist, till death do us part, or till legal age, in the case of my minor children. I tried to develop a twelve step program for the condition, but it was too organized and micromanaged to counteract my controlling tendencies. And now I see the same traits in a couple of my children. They are schedule makers and list checkers, with clean rooms and bossy attitudes. It is difficult for a born organizer to comprehend how the free spirited bohemians of the world cope. I’ve witnessed my own flesh and blood sleep through buzzing alarms without a care in the world, amongst a pile of dirty laundry and dessert bowls. They can rise at the crack of noon, sniff a shirt to see if it can be worn a third time, then dig through a heap to fin...